As the year wraps up it brings time for the atypical year in review post!
While last year I declared to be the year of the conferences but of course this year was just as crazy with conferences.
- Got a Microsoft MVP award!
- Went to the USA for my first time to go to MIX11 and talked FunnelWeb at the Open Source Fest
- Vegas is insane and I don't think I've ever been as hung over in my life as I'd been
- Hanging out with Glenn Block was heaps of fun, he's such a top guy
- I got to have lunch with Scott Hanselman, Phil Haack and Rob Conery which was pretty awesome from a nerd point of view
- The pre-party also allowed me to meet some of my idols in Douglas Crockford, Dave Ward and Elijah Manor
- And watching Steve Godbold rap was just hilarious
- It wasn't long until I was back on a plane to get to Denmark for CodeGarden 11 where I talked about everything from ASP.NET MVC to what is interesting in Umbraco 5
- I have since been removed from the Umbraco project but I stand by what got me removed, instead I am trying to get people involved from the outside
- But no rest for wicked it was time for Teched NZ (slides) and then Teched AU (slides & video)
- I got voted one of the top sessions in the web track which was pretty exciting!
For the first time in 2 years though I didn't resign from my job, I know, shockingly I'm still working at the same company I was working for this time last year.
Generally speaking I've scaled back my Open Source work, I've still tried to be active in the various communities but instead of actively developing I've tried to be more of a voice of reason. I've release a few small things such as:
- Which I then rewrite in NodeJS
- But admittedly it's not been getting a lot of love these days from myself or the community